Occasional thoughts of another crazed human

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Tribute to a baby

Or is he really a baby?

What is about a baby turning one that grips a mother's heart so tightly? Will it be this way on his 16th birhtday or when he's 30? For the past week I have felt that I am walking again through those moments of his birth and the preceding events. Maybe it's because many events of my last days of pregnancy are repeating this year - the return to our Bible study class and the Family outreach I led last week. Every time I've seen a friend or chatted with a stranger I have beamed out my pride that my baby is having his 1st birthday.

It's 10:14 pm. At this moment last year I had no idea that 12 hours from now I would be laying in a hospital bed, sweaty and cold and tired but elated and amazed at my baby (amazed at how quickly that purple boy started to look human). Amazed because he was 4 days early unlike his brother who 'd still be snuggled in my womb at a whomping 30+ lbs if he'd had it his way. I wonder if I'll wake at 12:42 am and think about how long it took me to figure out that was a labor pain ... or how long it took me to convince my husband that I'm not faking it.

This week a boy in my Sunday School class had his tonsils removed at the Children's Hospital in DC where Seth was for so long. I talked with his mom about the never-ending construction in the parking garage and which floor the surgery department is on. I think that connection has deepened my amazement that Seth is turning one. A year ago, he seemed infinitely vulnerable as he was connected to LED light and suction tubes and IVs. Then I worried about the fact that I couldn't feed him ... and it's no different now, because I can't seem to put enough food on his highchair tray to satisfy him. He eats it so quickly that I don't even have time to cut up more. He is less vulnerable ... he's got teeth now to bite Levi back with as well as a shrill cry when danger (again, Levi) is staring him down. But then I think about the worries of adulthood ... and I pray God doesn't call him to be a minister.

Anyways, I'll stop before this becomes a full-fledged birthing tale that should be saved for an office baby shower.

But here are some pictures of his handsome face. Can you believe how he's changed?

4 Comments:

  • At 9:35 PM, Blogger Mark Garrett said…

    What a fine looking baby! I don't think I have ever seen a child so cute. However, I also remember those first couple of wks. and the struggle and anxiety. That's why when ever I look at our little boy now it feels me with such joy.

     
  • At 9:43 AM, Blogger lexerdax said…

    It's amazing, isn't it? How God trusts us to be parents. What a task ... a wonderful, amazing, scary, terrifying, and overwhelming task. You have two wonderful boys. And, just to be contrary, perhaps I will pray that God does call your boys to be ministers! :) Seriously, we are praying for you and your family, that the King of Kings would continue to reign in your church and your home, and that He will bless you in a new way today. Love you!

     
  • At 10:41 PM, Blogger lexerdax said…

    Alright, lady. It's been two months (tomorrow) since you posted. Update!!! :)

     
  • At 10:27 PM, Blogger *sara* said…

    leah...i love you. and i can hear all of the burdens in your words. (this post and the last0-im a little behind on my reading!) and i want you to know that we have never stopped praying for your family and your church..and that you don't have to carry the world alone. i love you, and more importantly, you are serving an amazing God that loves you even more!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home